Friday, September 19, 2008

Red Raspberry Cake

And you thought I was done taking pictures and talking about red raspberries. As Sadie would say, "no yet".

(Before I get started here, I want to say thank you to all of you who had kind words to say about my last post. We are not alone. Let's remember this as we strive to do our very best and inspire our kids to do the same.)

I did a little online search to find a new red raspberry dessert recipe that I could use for our company tonight and tomorrow (two different sets of company). I wanted something I could make once, for both. This recipe turned out to be a keeper. Company #1 raved and I have to admit, it's a delicious, simple, buttery cake. And, really...how can you go wrong with red raspberries?

Red Raspberry Cake (Adapted from a recipe on epicurious by Barbara Steinberg)

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes

Blend the two sugars and flour. Add the butter cubes and cut them into the dry ingredients until they form coarse crumbs. Set aside.

3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Combine in a bowl with a whisk. Set aside.

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs

Mix in a mixer until blended.

1 cup plain yogurt (the original recipe called for sour cream)
2-3 cups red raspberries

Alternate adding the flour/salt/baking powder mixture and the yogurt to the butter/sugar/egg mixture (in your mixer), starting and ending with the flour. Beat until mixed well.

Spread half of the batter into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan coated with cooking spray. Since I wanted for two night's worth, I used two 8x8 inch pans. Lay the red raspberries on top. Cover with remaining batter. Sprinkle the crumbs on top and bake at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a knife comes out just clean.



If you have access to red raspberries, please make this. You'll be really glad you did. Unless you're in a diet, then you'll be really mad at me. I apologize, in advance. Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I'm putting on my flip-flops and heading out to pick the berries right now.

    -JJ

    ReplyDelete

Just a friendly reminder, if you know me personally please try to refrain from using my name. There are those who may try to locate me, break into my pantry and steal my pickled beets. Thanks:-).

Please choose the Anonymous option if you prefer not to sign in to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails