Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Apple Pie, With a Twist

I'm excited to share this recipe with you. I made this for the first time last fall. I then proceeded to make it several more times. Until my apples ran out. I was making this particular one the other afternoon as Jamey walked in the door from class. I thought the twinkle in his eye and the crooked grin had to do with him being happy to see me. Then I realized I was holding the bowl of cream cheese icing.

This is extremely easy to make. There is no crust involved. It's right on the very edge between pie and cake. I find myself waffling.... I know. You decide.


French Apple Pie with Cream Cheese Topping (adapted slightly from allrecipes.com)

1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional- I skip these)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. hot water

2 1/2 cups sliced apples, without the peel

3 ounces softened cream cheese
3 tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar

Combine ingredients butter through hot water in a large bowl in the order given. This batter will be quite thick. See below.


Next, add sliced apples. Stir them gently into the batter and then spread the batter into a 9 inch pie plate coated with cooking spray.


Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.


In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter. Add vanilla and confectioner's sugar. Beat until smooth, adding a teaspoon at a time of milk if needed. Ice the pie (or is it cake?) with the topping once it's cooled a bit.


If you don't like things that are really sweet, you can omit the topping completely, or half the topping recipe- it makes a lot. The man in my house would have me double the topping recipe, but that's too much- even for me. Pin It

4 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious. But I think, by definition, is more cake than pie. Actually, it looks to me like an apple buckle. Regardless of what you call it, it sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i just found my new favorite apple dessert. i made this last night for small group and boy, was it fantastic. the icing was also enjoyed by many of the kids. ;)
    it's the perfect way to use up frozen apples - i have oodles from home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fabulous...will try it...wow you did ALOT of canning..I don't have to tell you though.. it all looks so good and fresh....what a bounty...rest up a bit girl, enjoy the weekend.
    Thanks for the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this tonight for the first time after canning (applesauce) for my first time yesterday. Delicious and thanks for all the info on your blog, I am hoping this is a way forward for our family.

    ReplyDelete

Just a friendly reminder, if you know me personally please try to refrain from using my name. There are those who may try to locate me, break into my pantry and steal my pickled beets. Thanks:-).

Please choose the Anonymous option if you prefer not to sign in to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails