Thursday, December 18, 2008

Granola

Well, I didn't think I'd post again before Christmas, but I just had share something. I came across a granola recipe here at Path to Freedom. I love granola. I usually make my grandmother's recipe- the usual mix, spread on trays, bake, turn every 15 minutes, cool and store. It's very good. We eat it so quickly, though. Making it regularly would take too much time.

I usually don't mind things taking too much time. We make our own yogurt, baked oatmeal for breakfast, can, preserve, etc. But granola has always seemed like an 'extra'. Not necessarily a staple. Just something you make every once in a while as a treat.

This new recipe looked so easy and simple, I had to try it. So I did and it was simple, easy and very, very good. I ate it over yogurt, which is my second favorite way to eat granola (my first is over homemade ice cream). Below is the recipe of my, slightly altered, version. I really wish I would have discovered this earlier. It fills a quart jar nicely and would have made a perfect gift. I'll keep it in mind for next year.


Skillet Granola (adapted from here)

3 tbsp. butter
4 tbsp. honey
3-4 tbsp. sesame seeds
4 tbsp. sunflower seeds
2 cups rolled oats (not quick oats)
1 c. dried fruit

Melt butter in large skillet. Once melted, stir in honey. Over medium high heat, add sesame seeds and cook for 2 minutes. Add oats and sunflower seeds. Cook another 5-8 minutes, stirring often. Just as the oats start to brown, add dried fruit and continue to stir until oats are golden brown. Spread on a cookie sheet to cool and store in a covered jar or container. Makes about 1 quart. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just a friendly reminder, if you know me personally please try to refrain from using my name. There are those who may try to locate me, break into my pantry and steal my pickled beets. Thanks:-).

Please choose the Anonymous option if you prefer not to sign in to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails