Monday, January 12, 2009

Old, Treasured Things

I love old things. They remind me of simpler, albeit often harder, times. When there were no cell phones, video games, TVs or (how ironic) the internet. When people got up with the sun, worked together, ate what they grew, then sat outside on their porches in the evenings. Entertainment was socializing with each other- talking face to face- within their families, churches and amongst neighbors.

Now, I don't think I'm quite saying that I wished I lived back then. If so, I would've probably worried more about pregnancy and the safety of myself and the baby come time for it to be born. I would've worried more about my children's health and the weather and the crops. I could have peed in a chamber pot at night, but I would certainly miss the future invention of tampons.

I think instead of wishing to go back, I wish we didn't have quite all of the 'extras' we have now. I think those extras keep us holed-up in our houses, away from each other. Away from seeing the needs of others and extending a hand. Sometimes, the harder way to do something is the most rewarding.

This verse rings true to me. I came across it again, here.

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody". (1 Thessalonians 4:11-12)

***************************************

As I mentioned here, my siblings, cousins and our significant others were invited to choose keepsakes from my grandparent's house over Christmas. I wanted to share with you some of the treasures I chose.












This bench is one of my favorites. I have always wanted some type of seating in my kitchen- it's where everyone congregates, but there's no room to sit or stand without being in the way of the cook. My grandmother told me that she and my grandfather picked this up years ago when they were traveling through the Poconos in PA. Out by the road, someone was selling these benches straight out of an old chapel. Jamey came home the other day to find me sitting on my bench, leafing through cookbooks. He said it looked like I should be singing, as if I held a hymn book.

Another favorite keepsake has not made it's way to us yet. It wouldn't fit in our van. It's a large, old canning cupboard. My parent's actually chuckled when they heard I wanted it because it's not in very good shape. Oh! but it's a canning cupboard and my husband is a wiz with wood. Once we have it with us and Jamey has worked his magic, I will share a picture of it with you, as well.

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Wow...I love every one of the treasures you chose! Amazing stuff...I love old things, too. I agreed with everything you said in this post...especially the tampon comment!! lol! Amen to that girl! Thanks for linking to my blog...I'm glad our paths have crossed. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! it is beautiful to see how you are using these treasures, and remembering through them. I love that you got some of the stories, too. Great post..so well said, and a good reminder to me. Love to all you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your site from a link(A home grown journal) I really like this site. I plan on becoming a regular reader.

    PS..your pickled beets are safe, I don't know you!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete

Just a friendly reminder, if you know me personally please try to refrain from using my name. There are those who may try to locate me, break into my pantry and steal my pickled beets. Thanks:-).

Please choose the Anonymous option if you prefer not to sign in to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails