Sunday, March 29, 2009

Saturday Night's Dinner

We had friends over for supper Saturday evening. The menu consisted of Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos, Warm Butternut Squash and Chickpea Salad, Applesauce and Rhubarb Coffee Cake.

I have already written about the Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos here.

Let me tell you about this Butternut Squash Salad- AMAZING. I can take no credit for the recipe. I came across it at Smitten Kitchen and, come to find out, Orangette has written about it, too. My goodness, if they both wrote about it, I knew I could not go wrong...and was I right.

We still have butternut squash from the fall- it has stored very nicely. I doubled the recipe, using two whole squash. I kid you not, there was only a cup and a half left over- from two whole butternut squash! Four adults and four children came very close to polishing it off completely. I used yellow onions instead of red onions and lemon juice from a bottle and it still turned out incredible. And, because we liked it so much we made another batch yesterday to eat this week- yep, it's that good. You can find the recipe and photo here. Now, go get started. Well, after you've read the rest of this post, of course.

If you've missed our Applesauce post, you can read about how we make it here. I think we've finally determined the amount of applesauce our family requires. The 144 quarts is lasting nicely.

Ok, now for dessert... I made my Grammie's Rhubarb Coffee Cake. There are still numerous bags of rhubarb in our freezer, so I had a good excuse to make it. This cake is very moist and very flavorful. Our rhubarb is just coming up outside along the fence. When you get your hands on some (if there isn't any in your freezer), try this recipe out. I know you will be pleased.

Rhubarb Coffee Cake (my Grammie's recipe)

1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1 1/2 cup chopped rhubarb (fresh or frozen and drained)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Cream shortening and 1 1/2 cups brown sugar. Add the egg and beat well. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to the shortening mixture alternatively with the sour cream/plain yogurt. Fold in the rhubarb. Spread the batter into a greased 9x13 inch pan coated with cooking spray.

In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle it evenly over the top of the batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Excellent with homemade vanilla ice cream. Or all by it's lonesome.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. This was delicious! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhubarb coffee cake is amazing...I am eating it now. Thank you for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Just a friendly reminder, if you know me personally please try to refrain from using my name. There are those who may try to locate me, break into my pantry and steal my pickled beets. Thanks:-).

Please choose the Anonymous option if you prefer not to sign in to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails