Friday, March 6, 2009

Some Variations on Green Beans

If you've been visiting here for awhile, you know that green beans (among a few other common vegetables) are not my favorite. I certainly don't hate them or anything. And I'm thankful they are very proficient in our garden. Green beans are food, after all.

I just prefer to doctor them up a bit. One way is by making Saucy Green Beans. This is a recipe I got from a roommate in college, Carla. Saute 1/2 cup chopped onion in 2 tbsp. oil until tender. Add 1 quart cooked, drained green beans, 1 tsp. prepared mustard, 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp. sugar and 1 tsp. seasoned salt. Cook 4-5 minutes, adding a little reserved bean liquid if the beans are too dry. Heat through and serve. These are very yummy.

My recent favorite way to make green beans is to put them in casserole-form. Casseroles can be made ahead- perfect for company. Now, the traditional green bean casserole that we all eat at Thanksgiving (cream soup, french onions on top) is very good. But, recently I have been trying to avoid creamed soups. I could replace the canned creamed soup with my homemade cream soup substitute, but I was looking for something a bit different.

On allrecipes.com, I came across this recipe and tweaked it until it was to our liking. Or should I say loving? Here it is...

A Different Green Bean Casserole (allrecipes.com)

2 quarts green beans, cooked and drained
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cup sour cream
2 1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups shredded swiss cheese
1-2 cups french onion topping

Cook green beans, drain them and set them aside. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter completely, stir in the flour, then stir in the sour cream and salt. Cook on medium high heat until think and bubbly. Remove from the heat and add shredded swiss cheese, stirring until it's melted. Add in the drained, cooked green beans, stiring to coat them in the sauce. Stir in the french onions and transfer to a greased 2-quart baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

Just before transfering to a baking dish. The perfect time for tasting.
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. If anyone is thinking about making this...do it. then do it again. and again. and again. it is sooooooo yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Just a friendly reminder, if you know me personally please try to refrain from using my name. There are those who may try to locate me, break into my pantry and steal my pickled beets. Thanks:-).

Please choose the Anonymous option if you prefer not to sign in to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails