Thursday, May 28, 2009

Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream

The other day I mentioned that we made ice cream. It was the first time this year. We were having company and I wanted to try a new recipe. A chocolate ice cream recipe. I found this one at allrecipes.com which got stunning reviews. I now know why. I'm so sorry I don't have a picture for you. We've since eaten it all up. It was velvety, chocolaty and delicious.

I have a bone to pick with homemade ice cream. Part of the fun of making it, especially if you are having company (like we were), is that everyone gets to help turn the ice cream. My problem is this- when everyone is done turning and it looks ready, no one wants to wait for it to firm up a bit more in the freezer. So we all eat very soft, if not border-line soupy ice cream. It's delicious, of course, but it's not the way ice cream should be.

This is what happened this time- like all other times. What we ate was very soft (very good), soupy-ish ice cream. Then, we put the leftovers in the freezer and holy cow. This ice cream had the best frozen overnight consistency out of all other homemade ice creams we have made. It was like Turkey Hill or Edy's consistency. Perfect. This is why it was all gobbled up and I have no picture to show.

Do I have a solution to the homemade ice cream dilemma? Nope. I don't think there is one. Well, unless you make two batches. One ahead of time to have firmed-up in the freezer and then a new batch for company to crank (and you to eat later). That's not such a bad idea. Sometimes I just need to talk things out. Thanks for listening.

Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream (adapted from allrecipes.com)
makes about a half gallon

1 1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup cocoa
6 egg yolks, beaten
4 cups heavy cream
1 1/3 cup half and half
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips, grated into small pieces by your food processor

In a large bowl, combine the sugar and the cocoa. Add the beaten egg yolks, cream and half and half, beating well with a whisk. Stir in grated chocolate chips and store in the fridge until you are ready to turn your ice cream freezer. Leftovers freeze splendidly.

Once again, I am sorry I don't have a picture of the ice cream. How will a picture of our irises do?

Update (5/29/09): Ok, you are right. Pictures of flowers won't suffice. Fellow-blogger Mavis gave me permission to post a link to her blog where she took pictures of this ice cream before they ate it all- smart lady. Thanks, Mavis! Click here to see pictures.

Irises along side Jamey's workshop, the old brooding house
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your dilemma. And I like your solution.

    And a photo of irises will most definitely NOT do---I wanna see that ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippe and lucky for me I have all these ingredients in house and will be making this for a birthday dessert tonight. I'll take a photo for you so you can post it INSTEAD of the irises.....I agree with mamajj...if your going to post about ice cream a picture of flowers in NOT going to work :)

    ReplyDelete

Just a friendly reminder, if you know me personally please try to refrain from using my name. There are those who may try to locate me, break into my pantry and steal my pickled beets. Thanks:-).

Please choose the Anonymous option if you prefer not to sign in to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails