Friday, July 24, 2009

I'm Begging You

Last summer I shared with you my favorite summer sandwich. I know some of you tried it and I know some of you did not. Don't be scared. Just try it. If you don't like it, fine. But, just think. If you wait one more day to try this sandwich (and you like it) you'll have lived one day less without knowing it's deliciousness. You can call me a sandwich pusher if you want. I won't be offended. I like it that much. And, yes, I know I'm a little weird.

I horded one of our first two tomatoes all to myself for this baby and it was worth it.

Tomato, Peanut Butter and Mayonnaise Sandwich

2 slices toasted whole wheat bread
1 fresh, vine-ripened tomato (store-bought, mealy, pink tomatoes will not do)
mayonnaise
peanut butter (creamy or chunky- you're choice)

Spread one slice of toasted bread with peanut butter and the other with mayonnaise. Lay the sliced tomato on one slice and place the other slice on top. Cut the sandwich in half and then go find a quiet corner of the house to eat your sandwich where no little people can come disturb your enjoyment.

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I'm going to trust you on this one and give it a try...as soon as I have a decent tomato from my own vine. It couldn't be any more weird than peanut butter on toast with dill pickle chips. Give that one a try! You'll be surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried it last year, but, sadly enough, didn't like it. I'm very glad you like it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a peanut butter fan, but when someone raves about vine-ripe tomato combinations, I have to consider. also, don't many oriental recipe's have peanuts as their main flavor? Don't have any good tomatoes on hand, but will have to give this a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister-in-law alerted me to your blog and today is the first time I've seen it. If it was a book, I wouldn't be able to put it down! I can't wait to read every single post! You live the life I hope to live someday when we have a house and aren't renting.
    I love everything you write about...gardening and children and my husband are my passions in life. So far I only have one baby (who is smiling and cooing and making me cry too!), but someday I hope to have many...(*sigh*)
    Anyway, thank you for sharing your life and your incredible skill of writing it all down. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried it!
    ...and I liked it! I feel like I would love it if I had used better bread and a more ripe tomato. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, snap, I am completely sold. I've eaten this sandwich two days in a row now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. An older post, but I have to chime in. (It showed up on the "you might also like:" choices at the bottom of today's post.

    I am a vegan eater. I LOVE PB and tomato sandwiches. (I add lettuce and skip the mayo...or use a vegan version.) It always reminds me of the taste of a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich.

    Thanks for the reminder,
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete

Just a friendly reminder, if you know me personally please try to refrain from using my name. There are those who may try to locate me, break into my pantry and steal my pickled beets. Thanks:-).

Please choose the Anonymous option if you prefer not to sign in to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails