Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Zucchini Pumpkin Bread

I know. You don't have to tell me. Zucchini and pumpkin do not come (from the garden) at the same time. It's true. But! If you are like me, you still may have some cooked pumpkin lingering in the freezer from last fall that you do not want to still be lingering come this fall.

I had set out my four large mixing bowls (I make 8 loaves at a time). Sadie was at the ready on her chair, spoon in hand. I started adding to each bowl...eggs, sugar...wait. Stop. The next ingredient was vegetable oil (I use canola). Now this is my favorite zucchini bread recipe. The reason I hesitated was because flashing through my mind came the recollection of my mom making a fabulous chocolate cake that used cooked pumpkin instead of oil. That cake was delicious. At the same time (you wouldn't believe what can bounce around my head all at once) I thought of the frozen pumpkin I had to find a new home for in our freezers to make room for 44 quarts of blueberries.

Thus, I substituted pumpkin for oil. It worked. I have to say, I cannot taste the pumpkin, but the bread is moist, contains the added nutrients from the pumpkin, contains no oil, freed-up space in my freezer and still tastes delicious.


Original recipe, please don't be sad. Once my pumpkin runs out, it's all you again, baby. It's all you.

Zucchini Pumpkin Bread

Click here for original recipe and substitute 1 cup of cooked pumpkin for the 1 cup vegetable oil. Baking time and temperature is the same.

A note about these pans...Several years back, Jamey made all our bread. While making it one day, he got perturbed because he was making a large quantity of bread (we froze it) and had to mess with small bread pans. He wondered why there were not long bread pans like they must use for store-bought bread.

Now, you know this was awhile back because we did not have the internet yet, but my sister did and I asked her to check on line for long bread pans. They're out there, people! She ordered them for us and I gifted them to Jamey for some occasion...I can't remember...maybe for making all our bread.

Anyway, these pans are very handy. When I make zucchini and other bread like this, I just cut the loaf in two before popping it out of the pan so I still get the standard size. Each pan is the equivalent of two standard loaf pans. Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using extra pumpkin in place of the oil. Looks delicious!

    I used to use long pans but went back to the short ones because the end crusts are my favorite part.

    Aunt V

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good bread, too. The kids scarfed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous of those long pans. And Mom (aunt V) I DON'T like the crusts so maybe that'd be a nice birthday present some year :)

    Hmm, could I use funny tasting pumpkin for that since you don't taste it? I froze a whole lot of pumpkin last year from a variety that I was told by our neighbor makes good pies. Well, we do not like the flavor of this particular pumpkin so I need some way to use it up...the idea of throwing out pumpkin that I diligently roasted, pureed and froze doesn't appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zoe, I think you should go ahead and try it. It ends up being only 1/2 cup of pumpkin per loaf- unless the flavor you don't like is potent enough to come through...hmmm...I guess you won't know unless you try:-). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Just a friendly reminder, if you know me personally please try to refrain from using my name. There are those who may try to locate me, break into my pantry and steal my pickled beets. Thanks:-).

Please choose the Anonymous option if you prefer not to sign in to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails