Friday, September 4, 2009

Bruschetta

First off, I just want to say thank you to all you dear people who offered kind words the other day. You all are just great.

*******************************************

Bruschetta. That's what I've been eating for lunch and with dinner every day for the past week.

My brother and sister-in-law made bruschetta when they brought dinner over last week and I have been making it since. It's easy, delicious and such a wonderful way to celebrate the freshness of summer as it comes to a close. Make it for company, for snack, for lunch, for dinner. Make it for breakfast, for crying out loud.


Bruschetta (adapted from Simply In Season with the help of Kim)
Click here to learn more about it.

2 large yellow tomatoes, diced
2 large red tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, diced
1/4-1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup fresh basil, torn
1 tbsp. zucchini relish or diced pickles (sweet or dill)
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
black ground pepper to taste

1 loaf french or crusty bread of your choice

Place diced tomatoes in a bowl and let them sit a bit. The longer you let them sit, the more juice can be drained off, several hours before works well. Once you've drained the juice from the tomato bowl, add the ingredients mozzarella cheese through black pepper and combine.

Place slices of bread on a baking sheet and toast them at 350 degrees for about 7 minutes, then turn on the broiler until the tops are nicely browned (keep an eye on them!). Or, you can grill your bread until it's toasted. Serve the tomato mixture (chilled or at room temperature) over the warm, toasted bread.

You'll think you're in heaven. But you won't be. You'll need another piece to cushion the blow.

Optional: Drizzle or brush olive oil over your bread before toasting/grilling it.


Can you eat too many tomatoes? Pin It

3 comments:

  1. If a person can eat too many tomatoes than we are in serious trouble.

    The bruschetta looks tempting.

    First I gotta go make a loaf of crusty bread than we can eat bruschetta.

    Aunt V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been known to eat bruscheeta for breakfast/lunch and dinner as well....I would bottle it up and sell it as room freshener if I could....I would cover my walls with pictures of heirloom tomatoes chopped up and pilled high on crusty bread fried in butter if my husband would only let me....I love bruschetta...and I know it loves me. :) It is my #1 happy food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is pretty similar, except instead of the relish I dice up a fresh summer squash (I like the texture next to the softer tomatoes) and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Just a friendly reminder, if you know me personally please try to refrain from using my name. There are those who may try to locate me, break into my pantry and steal my pickled beets. Thanks:-).

Please choose the Anonymous option if you prefer not to sign in to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails