Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Oatmeal Rolls

We're not big bread bakers around here. I love the idea of baking bread. I love the smell of bread baking. I love the taste of homemade bread. I do not think, though, that bread making and I are meant to be. I've had some successes. I can make a nice loaf of French bread. I can make pizza dough in my sleep. Much beyond that and I find myself lacking. Talent? Interest? Probably a combination of both. I have come to terms with this and I am fine with it. I am not a bread baker.

Jamey, on the other hand, makes one kind of bread- oatmeal rolls- and he makes them incredibly well. The recipe he uses suggests baking the bread in loaf pans. We prefer the roll version. He will often quadruple the recipe and stock our freezer with these yummy rolls that are then pulled out to be served with soups or salads or to be used as sandwich bread.

My mother uses this recipe as well and these rolls have made appearances at at least two of our family weddings and countless Thanksgiving dinners. These rolls are exceptional right out of the oven. As in, I can eat four at a time. If you are careful not to over bake them, they retain their soft, moist, fluffiness long after coming out of the oven.



Oatmeal Rolls (Jamey has adapted this recipe from the More-With-Less Cookbook)
This recipe yields two loaves or two cake layer pans full of rolls. The rolls freeze very well.

1 cup quick oats
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. butter, sofetned
2 cups boiling water
1 package or 1 tbsp. dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
4-5 cups white flour

Combine quick oats, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, salt and butter in a large bowl. Pour the boiling water over the oat mixture and stir to combine. In a small bowl, combine the warm water and yeast until the yeast has dissolved. When the oatmeal mixture has cooled to lukewarm, add the yeast mixture and combine. Add the white flour one cup at a time, mixing with a spoon until the dough becomes too tough, then turn it out on a floured counter and knead additional flour into the dough. Knead for 5 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled. Punch down and let rise again.

Pull off clumps of dough and form into large round balls to form rolls. Place them in a greased pan with or without sides. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes and check the rolls. Remove them from the oven when the tops are just starting to brown and a knife inserted in the center of one comes out clean. Brush the tops with some melted butter (optional) and cool on wire racks.



Pin It

19 comments:

  1. Ummm did he use a "hand towel" to wrap that bread in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look REALLY good! And how nice to have kitchen help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love homemade bread do you think adding a small amount of flax seed would change the texture too much? I'm always looking to keep the fiber content up on my breads, thanks for sharing, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, friend. I'm very much like you when it comes to baking bread. I've been lucky that my mom makes bread for both our households. BUT for Christmas, I asked for (and received) "Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day," which is basically a technique for no-knead dough. You mix up a wet dough, put it in a plastic container, let it rise for a couple hours, then refrigerate and pull out a hunk when you want fresh bread. I'm loving it. So if you ever want to try something new . . .

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mavis, Those are clean dish towels, so he was okay:-).

    Robin, Jamey has, I believe, added flax seed from time to time and it works well.

    Jodi, I've actually tried something like this in the past and it worked pretty well. My trouble is baking loaves that kids will accept as sandwich bread. Either the crust is too hard for loose teeth or it's difficult to slice thin enough for small mouths. Have you used this type for sandwiches?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to stop by and let you know how good these rolls were. My wife followed your instructions today and they turned out really great. We never have much luck with homemade rolls for some reason but were delighted with these ones. I just printed the recipe and added it to our recipe folder...thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bread making and I aren't friends either...I keep trying but alas, REJECTED once again. Really frustrating!
    One day...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to get back to you on the sandwich thing. So far, I've been making rolls and oval/round/baguette shapes. And yes, so far the crusts have been a bit tough. Which I like, but I don't have any loose teeth. According to the book, there is a technique for sandwich-friendly loaves. I'll give that a try and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no!! We don't use "quick oats." We use organic regular oats. Does this affect the baking time??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever get an answer? All I have is old fashioned oats.

      Delete
    2. After doing some online research, it appears that you can substitute them just fine. Quick oats cook/bake faster in part because they're in smaller pieces. Placing your regular oats in a blender or food processor to chop them up a bit more would help them bake/cook faster and act more like quick oats. If you try this, please come back and let me know how it worked out:-).

      Delete
  10. Coffee Catholic, I think you could go ahead and try substituting your regular oats without making any other changes. I have a hunch it will be fine. Please come back and tell me how it went:-).

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum! I'm going to try these now. And thanks for the inspiration to dust off More-with-Less.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you freeze these before you bake them after they rise or after you bake them? Wondering which method works best.
    Thanks! Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jamie,
    We freeze them after they are baked. Make sure to let them cool completely before doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the recommendation about these rolls! They turned out soo good. My husband loved them so much he was sharing them at work! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I finally took the time to try these today as it was baking day. Our new favorite rolls! I'm adding these to my bread baking routine immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for this recipe and the reminder to dust off "More with Less." I made the rolls today using old fashioned oats, and for those who asked, they worked just fine.
    I think next time I will allow the dough its second rise after the rolls are shaped before I put them in the oven. Also, I know this varies for everyone, but I baked my rolls for a good 20 minutes, and they could have gone longer.
    The rolls are yummy- I really like the texture from the oats and will be making them again :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is he making these small burger bun size? I would like to make that size, instead of small dinner roll. How many do you make with this size recipe? Do you want them touching on the pan or do you leave space between the dough balls? Do you let them rise on the pan after shaping or just bake right away? My dough is rising for the second time and I'm just about to shape the rolls. I usally make a big sourdough round loaf, so this is new for me, excited to taste them!

    ReplyDelete

Just a friendly reminder, if you know me personally please try to refrain from using my name. There are those who may try to locate me, break into my pantry and steal my pickled beets. Thanks:-).

Please choose the Anonymous option if you prefer not to sign in to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails