Thursday, February 4, 2010

Funny Cake

First of all, I want to apologize for yet another sugary recipe. We really do mostly eat healthy things. I think my problem is that I am in a bit of a rut when it comes to dinner. Well, a "rut" sounds bad and my problem is not a bad one. I just tend to make things that I know our family likes using what we have put up- many of the recipes can be found, already published, in our recipe indexes. This leaves me without much to post about in the food department. And, I love to post about food. Can you tell? In an attempt to not drive away all you lovely folks who are trying to eat less sugar (including myself), I have scoured my cookbooks, made a list and will be trying new real-food recipes. So, stay tuned. In the meantime...

I've written about Wacky Cake and now I'm writing about Funny Cake. You may be wondering if we are so serious a people that we have to live vicariously through the names of our desserts.

Perhaps.

Funny Cake is one of those baked goods whose name doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. It's called a cake, but it's baked in a pie crust. Similarly to shoo-fly pie, it's often eaten for breakfast instead of following a healthy dinner as most cakes are. Maybe it's called funny because you pour a chocolate batter onto the top of the cake (or pie or whatever it is) and it ends up on the bottom.


Whatever the reason, it really doesn't matter. You make Funny Cake because it's delicious. It's simple, moist, chocolaty and fabulous. And you can eat it whatever time of day you please. And, it's super easy to make. How's that for some good reasons?

Funny Cake (my Grandma's recipe)
Nesquik is a chocolate powder that when added to milk makes chocolate milk. The same Nesquik container has been in our house for 4 or 5 years. The only time we use it is to make Funny Cake.

3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup Nesquik
1/2 cup warm water
1 (9-inch) pie crust

In a large bowl, beat the sugar (3/4 cup), oil and egg together with a whisk.

Notice how yellow our eggs are.

Add the flour, baking powder, milk and vanilla and beat well until smooth.


Set this batter aside. In a small bowl (I like to use a glass measuring pitcher because it allows me to pour easily) combine the sugar (1/2 cup), Nesquik and warm water, beating it well with a whisk until the sugars are dissolved.


Pour the vanilla batter into the pie crust. (We use disposable pie pans for our pie crusts since we don't have enough glass and metal ones.)


Gently pour the chocolate mixture over the top of the vanilla batter as shown.



Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Let cool to room temperature and serve.

Where did all the chocolate go?

Oh. There it is. Isn't that funny?
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Yes you can eat it anytime. A friend of mine served it at her wedding, along with shoo fly, instead of cake :)

    Beck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is funny ~ and shouldn't it be called funny PIE since it is in a pie crust?? :) Whatever it's called, it looks and sounds yummy...I'm sure the kids would enjoy it. Thanks for sharing!

    Blessings,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there another chocolate something that would work in place of the Nesquik? Damian would be surprised if one day he came home and I had made funny cake! I definitely will do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marla, Hello! I bet hot chocolate mix would work. Give that a whirl. Make sure to let me know if it works and if so, I will add it as an alternative ingredient in my recipe:-).

    ReplyDelete

Just a friendly reminder, if you know me personally please try to refrain from using my name. There are those who may try to locate me, break into my pantry and steal my pickled beets. Thanks:-).

Please choose the Anonymous option if you prefer not to sign in to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails