Thursday, June 3, 2010

Preserving: Freezing Garden (English) Peas

Garden peas are also called English peas and I have a love-hate relationship with them.  While I adore eating them, I get incredibly frustrated at the amount of time and effort that goes in to shelling them because of the minuscule amount of actual peas that result from all of my efforts.


That said, I still shell and freeze every little pea we don't scarf down as if they were little pieces of gold.  Because... in the middle of winter, they are like gold.  Once they are shelled, they are very easy to freeze.  This is another great activity for the kiddos.  Sadie learned to shell peas when she was three.  While she eats the peas out of every other pod she shells, it's still nice to have her help.



Freezing Garden (English) Peas

I don't wash the peas first unless they are visibly dirty.  They usually stay pristine in their little pods and, unless you have filthy hands, stay that way.

Bring water to boil in a pot (enough to liberally cover the amount of peas you have).  (If you have a pot colander- that's what I call them, anyway- they work great.  If you don't, a slotted spoon works just as well.) When it's at a full boil, add the peas and cook them for one and a half minutes.  You do not need to wait until the water returns to a boil.  Start your timer as soon as your peas go into the water.

 

While they are blanching, ready a bowl with cold water and a few ice cubes.  When your time goes off, drain them and place them in the cold water to stop the cooking process.

 

Let them sit for a few minutes, drain well,
 

... bag and freeze.

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, no GREAT for you. I don't do them anymore. My first year I spent hours weeding, shelling, blanching, etc. and ended up with six cups frozen. If it's gonna be worth while, you really have to do alot. And it's alot of work!!

    Beck

    ReplyDelete

Just a friendly reminder, if you know me personally please try to refrain from using my name. There are those who may try to locate me, break into my pantry and steal my pickled beets. Thanks:-).

Please choose the Anonymous option if you prefer not to sign in to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails