Friday, October 3, 2008

Butternut Bliss

For dinner tonight I decided to break open one of our many winter squash that Jamey recently brought in from the garden. I perused my Simply in Season cookbook and found a recipe that made my mouth water. It turned out beautifully- creamy, fragrant and oh! what a comfort food. Jamey said he could eat it all winter. Wow. We seem to all agree, this recipe is a keeper.


Butternut Sage Orzo (Alison Froese-Stoddard, Simply in Season)

1 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine or additional broth

4 cups water or broth
1 cup orzo

1/2 cup parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. fresh sage or 1 1/2 tsp. dried

In a large frying pan, saute the onion over medium heat in 1 tbsp. oil until tender. Add and saute garlic until fragrant. Add squash and stir to coat. Add 1/2 cup broth and 1/2 cup white wine (or broth). Simmer for about 10 minutes, until squash is tender. While the squash is simmering, bring the 4 cups of water or broth to a boil in a saucepan. Add orzo and boil until it's just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add squash mixture to large bowl once it's tender. Stir in parmesan cheese and sage.

My notes: I added 1 cup browned sausage. Also, my butternut yielded 6 cups of cubes instead of 4 cups. This seemed to work fine. I used all broth (no wine or water).



Take a look at my boy's plate. He ate all the vegetable and left the pasta. Usually it's the other way around. I told you this recipe is a keeper. Run it past your little ones. Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Sooo tasty! I needed a vegan recipe for company, and I am thinking that minus the parmesan, this will be perfect. Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Just a friendly reminder, if you know me personally please try to refrain from using my name. There are those who may try to locate me, break into my pantry and steal my pickled beets. Thanks:-).

Please choose the Anonymous option if you prefer not to sign in to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails