Monday, March 16, 2009

Pasta with Green Beans and Sun-Dried Tomatoes

I have been meaning to share this recipe for awhile. I was waiting until I made it again, so I could take some pictures. I love cookbooks with photographs of the dishes. I like to know what it's going to look like (to see if it's appealing to me) and, just as importantly, what it's supposed to look like to see if I'm doing anything drastically wrong.

The first time I made it, I was thrilled. We all loved it. The tomatoes and red wine vinegar give the pasta and the green beans a little kick. Green beans need a little kick. But, that's just my opinion.

As you know, I love finding creative ways to use our frozen green beans. I've already mentioned a couple here. This recipe allows me to use our green beans, roasted tomatoes (in place of the sun-dried variety) and garlic, too.

Pasta with Green Beans and Sun-Dried Tomatoes (adapted from Cooking Light, Annual Recipes 2001)

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 quart frozen green beans, rinsed with hot water and drained
12-16 ounces dry pasta, any variety (I usually use shells or penne for this)
2 cups chopped roasted tomatoes (or sun-dried tomatoes)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar

To begin, place the oil and green beans in a large skillet, on high heat, covered with a lid. Next, cook the pasta according to the directions. When the pasta is done and drained, transfer it to a large bowl. While the green beans are cooking, chop up the garlic and roasted (or sun-dried tomatoes).
Add the garlic and tomatoes to the green beans and continue to cook the green beans, stirring often and keeping covered with the lid. If you are using dry (not packed in oil) sun-dried tomatoes, or if the green beans become too dry, add 1/4 cup of the pasta liquid to the beans.


Continue to cook the beans until they taste done (just soft, but not mushy). At this point, add the salt, pepper and breadcrumbs. Toss and cook a few minutes more, then turn off the heat and cover them to keep them warm until the pasta is done. Once the pasta is done and in the large bowl, transfer the beans in with the pasta. Add the red wine vinegar and parmesan cheese, as well as a drizzle of olive oil. Toss well and top with a little more parmesan.


Serve with additional red wine vinegar to drizzle on top if you need a stronger kick.
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. hey, this looks great! And I have a tiny little stash of dried tomatoes that I've been hoarding (I experimented with drying some this fall). So I'm going to be freeing up some freezer space with this dish.

    ReplyDelete

Just a friendly reminder, if you know me personally please try to refrain from using my name. There are those who may try to locate me, break into my pantry and steal my pickled beets. Thanks:-).

Please choose the Anonymous option if you prefer not to sign in to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails